If you’re like me, you may be struggling with going to work and still doing all the things that need to be done around the house. It’s hard when you HAVE to work… but you also HAVE to cook for your kids. Here are a few simple (BUT GOOD & HOME-COOKED) recipes I found that can be prepared in under 30 minutes.
LEMON CHICKEN & ASPARAGUS FOIL PACKS
Recipe type: Main Dish
ITALIAN SAUSAGE AND TORTELLINI SKILLET
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground Italian Sausage
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 20 oz package of fresh cheese Tortellini
- 3 cups spaghetti sauce (1-24 oz jar) + ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Heat olive oil in an oven safe skillet. Crumble in sausage and cook through, until no longer pink.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce, Italian seasoning water, and tortellini.
- Bring mixture to a boil, turn heat down to low, cover and simmer for about 8 minutes or until tortellini is tender. While pasta is cooking, turn broiler on to low (optional).
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan evenly over tortellini.
- Place pan under the broiler for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted. Alternately, you could place the lid back on the pan and let the heat from the pasta melt the cheese.
Blackened Salmon with Pineapple Salsa and Coconut Rice
Author: Flavor the Moments
- 1½ tablespoons paprika
- 1½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1½lb. salmon fillets, skin removed
- ½-1 teaspoon blackened seasoning per salmon fillet
- 1 cup quick cooking brown rice*
- 1¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped into small chunks
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped small
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro
- juice of 1 lime
- salt, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Place ½-1 teaspoon of the blackened seasoning on both sides of the fish, depending on how spicy you’d like it. Let stand at room temperature for 10-15 minutes while you prepare the rice and salsa.
- Heat the canola oil in a non-stick or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Place the salmon fillets presentation side down in the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until a nice crust is formed and it releases easily from the pan. Gently flip and cook on the other side for another 2-3 minutes, or until the fat begins to render. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Place the coconut milk and water in a medium saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the rice and salt, and return to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and cover, and simmer the rice according to package instructions. Once the rice has absorbed the liquid, remove from heat and let stand covered 10 minutes to steam. Remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and let stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes in order for the flavors to marry. Serve as a dip, topping, or condiment.
- Serve the salmon over the rice and spoon the pineapple salsa over the salmon. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe type: Main Dish
THAI SHRIMP SOUP
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon red curry paste
- 2 (12-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan of 1 1 /2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add shrimp, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic, onion and bell pepper to the stockpot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in curry paste until well combined, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in coconut milk and vegetable stock, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in rice, shrimp, lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
ONE POT LEMON HERB CHICKEN RICE
Recipe type: Main Dish
Cuisine: Italian / American
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup uncooked rice (white or brown)
- 2¼ cups chicken broth (I used low sodium)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet or pan (one that has a lid). Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste, and Italian seasoning. Brown chicken in the butter for 1-2 minutes on each side. (Chicken shouldn’t be cooked through at this point) Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add rice, chicken broth, lemon juice, and remaining Italian seasoning to the pan (no need to clean it first). Place chicken on top, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 20-25 minutes until liquid is dissolved.
- Garnish with fresh parsley or cilantro if desired and lemon wedges for squeezing. Serve immediately.
Lamb Chops with Arugula Chimichurri
- 2 c. arugula
- 1 c. fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ c. olive oil
- ⅓ c. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 12 rib lamb chops
- 2 tbsp. salt
- Preheat broiler. Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse to combine arugula, parsley, and garlic. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add olive oil, vinegar, and cumin and stir until thoroughly combined. Set chimichurri aside.
- Season lamb chops on both sides with salt, then place in a roasting pan. Broil until medium rare, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes. Top with reserved chimichurri before serving.
- 5 10-inch bamboo skewers
- 2 lb. large sea scallops
- Salt and pepper
- Maya Kaimal’s Mango-Chili Glaze
- Heat grill to high. Soak skewers in water for 10 minutes. Season scallops with salt and pepper and thread on skewers. Grease grill grates, brush the scallops with Maya Kaimal’s Mango Chili Glaze, and cook until grill marks form, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Remove from heat, brush again with glaze, and serve.
Minute Skillet Chicken and Spinach Parmesan
- 6-8 small chicken cutlets or breast fillets (1.5-2 lbs)
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbls extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups Ragú® Old World Style® Traditional Sauce
- 2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1 cup grated mozzarella
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Combine panko and parmesan cheese in a small bowl.
- Coat the chicken with the bread crumb mixture pressing gently to adhere.
- Heat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the cutlets (do in batches to avoid crowding) and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cooked through. (Wipe skillet before repeating with remaining chicken pieces.)
- Remove chicken from skillet and pour half of the pasta sauce onto the bottom of the skillet.
- Gently lay the chicken on top.
- Top each piece of chicken with a couple tablespoons of sauce, ¼ cup chopped spinach, and two tablespoons of mozzarella. Just spoon and sprinkle till it looks right 🙂
- Place in broiler for 2-4 minutes until cheese just begins to turn golden brown.
- Serve immediately.