Am I Eligible to Claim an Education Credit?
This interview will help you determine if you’re eligible for certain educational credits or deductions including the American Opportunity Credit, the Lifetime Learning Credit, and the Tuition and Fees Deduction.
Information You’ll Need
- Filing status.
- Student’s enrollment status.
- Your adjusted gross income.
- Who paid the expenses, when the expenses were paid, and for what academic period.
- If any expenses were paid with tax-exempt funds.
- If any expenses were paid with distributions from a Coverdell Education Savings Account or Qualified Tuition Program.
The tool is designed for taxpayers that were U.S. citizens or resident aliens for the entire tax year for which they’re inquiring. If married, the spouse must also have been a U.S. citizen or resident alien for the entire tax year. For information regarding nonresidents or dual-status aliens, please see International Taxpayers and Publication 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens.
Conclusions are based on information provided by you in response to the questions you answered. Answers do not constitute written advice in response to a specific written request of the taxpayer within the meaning of section 6404(f) of the Internal Revenue Code.
Estimated Completion Time: 10 minutes
Please Note: After 15 minutes of inactivity, you’ll be forced to start over.
Caution: Using the “Back” button within the ITA tool could cause an application error.