I Bet You Didn’t Know These Things Can Cause VAGINAL ODOR
As a woman, at one time or another, we have all dealt with a vaginal odor. Of course nobody wants to admit it… I get it, but there are many causes for vaginal odor. It’s not just about taking baths and showers and having good hygeine, there are many other factors that contribute to your body’s pH balance (pH scale measures acidity in your body). Bacterial vaginosis (BV) is the most common cause of vaginal symptoms among women, but it is not clear what role sexual activity plays in the development of BV. The prevalence in the United States is estimated to be 21.2 million (29.2%) among women ages 14–49.
Here are a list of a few known causes of vaginal odor
- BAD DIET – You are what you eat… having a bad diet can make you have a bad odor. Try eating a yogurt everyday or taking a probiotic.
- DOUCHING – There is good bacteria and there is bad bacteria. Douching eliminates the good bacteria and the bad bacteria causes an odor. Now I am not saying never douche, I always do after my monthly cycle.
- SEX – If you are having unprotected sex, SEMEN can alter the natural balance of the vagina (especially if your partner does not have a healthy diet himself , or drinks & smokes excessively). If you are having protected sex, CONDOMS can also alter the balance of the vagina. Especially if you have an allergy to condoms… it won’t always break you out or cause you to itch, sometimes it will just cause an odor.
- PHYSICAL ACTIVITY – When you are really active, an accumulation of sweat can build up down there and cause your vagina to smell muskier.
- CLOTHING – The clothing you wear, believe it or not can cause you to have vaginal odor. When you wear clothing that is too tight around the vaginal area… it can cause yeast infections, which leads to odor. Wearing any type of synthetic material directly on your vagina can cause you to get a baterial infection. Wearing COTTON on your vagina is your best bet (includes underwear and anything thing else worn directly on your vagina). Also do not wear underwear to bed (unless it is that time of the month), you want to let your vagina air out.
- EXCESSIVE WASHING – When you are constantly washing your vagina because of the smell, this can also cause your condition to get worse. Washing too much messes with the vagina’s natural flora which will cause a worse odor.
- SPICY FOOD – When you eat spicy food, it can cause you to have a sudden increase in vaginal discharge… causing an odor.
- PREGNANCY – Believe it or not, being pregnant can cause you to have a disruption in your body’s pH balance because of the vitamins and minerals you are taking.
- SCENTED PRODUCTS – Some people are able to use anything on their sensitive parts without any disruptions in their pH balance. However, some women cannot used any type of scented body wash, lotion or even detergent because it will throw their levels off.
- EXCESS PUBIC HAIR – Having too much pubic hair can cause a smell. Hair holds in the odor, whether it be from the vagina or from pee… Especially if you are not wiping with wipes or washing up after you pee.
Read my older blog on natural ways to cure Bacterial Vaginosis
Natural Remedies for BV
For more information, please log on to