Property Owners – Webinar to Prevent Discrimination Lawsuits
How to Prevent Emotional Support Animal (ESA) Discrimination Lawsuits
Brought to you by American Apartment Owners Association
Thursday, November 8th at 11am PST/ 2pm EST
Lately, emotional support animal requests have become borderline absurd, leaving landlords confused and vulnerable to lawsuits. We’ve invited Attorney/Author, Robert Friedman to provide updates on the latest laws.
He will provide answers to these questions:
- What is the difference between a service animal, a therapy dog, a psychiatric service dog and an emotional support animal (ESA)?
- Does an ESA need specialized training?
- What exceptions are there to the law?
- What documentation may a landlord request from the tenant who needs an ESA?
- Can the landlord charge a pet security deposit or extra rent for an ESA?
- Can animals other than cats and dogs act as ESAs?
- How much are tenants being awarded for discrimination against ESAs?
- What special lease language should be used for ESAs?
- What laws protect the landlord if the tenant misrepresents the need for an ESA?
Can’t make it? Register anyway and I’ll send you the recording after.
Director of Education at AAOA